The New York Mental Health Counselors Association is a professional organization for all counselors, students, and counselor educators who want to or who currently work clinically, regardless of work setting or area of specialization. Other mental health professionals whose education and training are comparable to that of mental health counselors are also welcome! As a member you will have access to all of the benefits of regular membership, including networking events and monthly meetings that feature presentations on new research findings and clinical approaches to counseling. You will also receive continuing education credits.
Benefits of membership include access to:
- the NYMHCA Quarterly (emailed to members)
- the Counselor Educator Newsletter
- the NYMHCA 800# (1-800-4-NYMHCA)
- legislative initiatives including advocacy for the profession with legislators, governmental agencies, and national and state professional organizations
- continuous up-to-date information on licensure issues, organization info and other information pertinent to the profession
- a link to liability insurance information from the NYMHCA site
- professional education credits at local chapter meetings and state conventions and workshops**
- the development of working relationships with the counselor education programs, their faculty and students
- our Speaker’s Bureau to help our members to increase their exposure as professionals to the general public
- Find-a-Counselor online directory so counselors can advertise their services to consumers
- Find-a-Supervisor online directory so counselors can enhance their clinical skills after completion of their graduate degree
- our statewide convention offered every other April in Albany
- our conference for Counselor Educators held bi-annually in Albany
- our dental and vision plans just for NYMHCA members
When you join our local chapter of NYMHCA, you will be provided a username and password for our chapter website. (Note that this is separate from your NYMHCA website username and password.) This will provide you access to additional information and services, such as:
- A free listing of your private practice website and/or contact information on our website
- Access to chapter meeting minutes
- Access to chapter meeting PowerPoint presentations, audio, and video recordings (when applicable)
- Access to continuing education credit certificates for previous meetings attended**
- Access to email, phone numbers, or other contact information of our presenters
Criteria and Categories For Membership
- Professional: Masters degree or higher in counseling or a related field that covers the basic principles of mental health counseling. Degree is from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
- New Professional: Masters degree or higher recently conferred. Eligibility for one year only after graduation for current NYMHCA student members only.
- Student: Enrolled at least half time in a graduate program in counseling or related discipline. Not yet licensure eligible.
- Retired: Masters degree or higher in counseling or related field that covers the basic principles of mental health counseling. Degree is from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
- Associate: Primary work responsibilities are in human resources/personnel. Also eligible are undergraduate students who intend to pursue a Master’s in mental health counseling or related clinical field. *Note: Associates are not able to vote or hold certain offices
Interested in joining? Click here to be redirected to our Join Now webpage.
If you have any questions, please email our Membership Chair.
**In January of 2017, LMHCs are now required to complete 36 continuing education credits triannually to renew their professional licenses in NYS. Join NYMHCA or email us to learn more about this process.